Travelers have a lot of things they want to do when they’re on the go. One of the best things about travel is capturing all those cool memories on photo or video so you can go back and look at them later, rehash those great experiences and share those incredible moments with others on social media and through other sharing options. I personally love Instagram and Facebook for sharing options. The travel communities on these social platforms are massive, dynamic and very engaging so it’s really fun to connect with like minded travelers and share our stories, experiences and fun through the use of video and photography.
Recently I have been planning a trip to China! I could not be more excited about this opportunity but one thing in particular has me a bit confused. Drones. I want to take a drone with me to China but I don’t want to spend a fortune, I want it to be a really high quality drone and I want it to be small enough to fit into my bag easily while I’m on the move. For the past few months I have been taking the advice of a ton of professional photographers and digital gurus and am really doing my homework on drones. This is what I have discovered to be the best drone at this time in history for the travel drone criteria I have.
My top 6 travel requirements for a drone:
- Must be small enough to fit into my backpack easily while I’m on the move
- Must be affordable – I’d say anything under $1,500 is reasonable considering my standards are high
- Must be very high quality – durable, great camera, quality design, great reaction to steering
- Can be programmed to follow me without the controller
- Long battery life
- Easy to find accessories
This is the drone that fits all of these criteria:
Mavic PRO made by DJI
You know me! I don’t like to drag things out when there isn’t a whole lot to say. Right now, there is not a drone out there that suits my travel purposes better than the Mavic PRO.
Mavic Pro Specifications:
1.62 pounds (that’s crazy light!)
- 83mm x 83mm x 198mm (3.3inx 3.3in x 7.8in) folded
- 40 mph in sport mode (65kph)
- 27 min. max flight time
- Camera 1/2.3-inch, 12-megapixel CMOS sensors (incredible!)
- LCD screen that can pair to your phone
- Ability for video and still photos
- Can be programmed to follow you
- Obstacle avoidance features (no crashes)
My main reason for doing all this research is that I want some high definition video of my mother and I touring remote areas of The Great Wall of China, the Li River and a number of other ancient sites during our trip. I need a drone that can easily be programmed to follow us so that I do not have to control it the entire time. I want great video footage but also want to focus on seeing the things I’m interested in and not having to steer a drone the entire time. The Mavic PRO is the answer and I cannot wait to share the footage with you all, I hope you’ll love it!
Please connect with me on my social media pages! Just click an image!